Monday, 6 October 2008

Vista Gadgets

I have been using Vista for almost a year now and one of the things I like in it is the Sidebar. When I was on XP I used desktop gadgets from a third party so when I finally got Vista I did some digging around its sidebar. While there are a number of cool gadgets two of the most useful I have found are the App Launcher and the Magic Folder.
App Launcher allows a user to set up shortcut's to what ever they like and they can be grouped into folders. While a number of standard windows folders can be accessed, for example My Computer, one of the things that is missing is links to the user folders such as Documents by default. 


















The other gadget I have found really useful is the Magic Folder. I often save all sorts of things to my desktop over the course of a day. Magic Folder allows me to drag and drop them onto the folder which then files them away based on the file extension. So any pictures are moved the the My Pictures folder, pdf's move to a folder inside My Documents, etc. You can specify your own file extensions and you can move to anywhere on your system.
If you find you regularly have masses of files on your desktop and you can store them loosely by file extension it is well worth looking into.

No comments: